12 August 2009

What I only wish someone had told me as a first year.

Yeah, we call them ‘first years,’ at my school. ‘Freshman’ comes with a certain connotation that implies that our high school experiences are meaningless. I mean, come on, any self-respecting queen will tell you those four years had better damn well count for something in college.

Anyway. Ladies, gentlemen, and and the like.

It brings me such great joy to bring you our first post ever. Ever. How cool is that? I got the inspiration for this post reading a coupon book in CVS. There was a section called, “Back to School” and I almost shit myself because I realized that I’ll be halfway across the continent–again–in less than two weeks! I suppose this time of the year just has a way of creeping up on me like winter break or finals.

This post is directed toward the first-year/freshman community although I feel it carries weight for every college student. As a slightly nostalgic and seasoned sophomore, I would like to offer some general advice that I would have been lucky to hear a year ago.

1. If you live far away from school, get on top of things fast. Seriously, the more time you leave yourself to plan, pack, and prepare, the better. For those of us moving in alone, things can get overwhelming, fast. Use the time you have at home to make to-do lists, pack, and call the admissions office or residential life with general questions.
Why this is important: College is unexplored territory. For all you know, you won't have a spare minute ‘till your second or third week (especially if your school pushes a very aggressive orientation program). If you're prepared, you'll also be a lot more comfortable on campus.

2. Never, and I mean never order books from the book store. Go through every other means of buying, borrowing, and begging before you turn to the book store. Notorious for over-pricing and buying books back for a decimal of the selling price, the book store might as well be the most morally corrupt place on this planet besides the Republican National Convention.
Why this is important: Besides sticking it to the man, you’ll save hundreds of dollars each semester. Places to hit up before the book store are: the library, other students, amazon, Ebay, and dumpsters. Really.

3. Look for scholarships like it’s your second only job. Tons of scholarships are only available to college students, so please, before you start with the money woes, do your best to take advantage of the financial aid office and outside scholarships.
Why this is important: Nothing sucks more than graduating in debt... with interest. Paying it back before you graduate is a much smarter choice if you ever want to move out of your parents' house.

4. Give it your all. I know it sounds corny, but if you go to college with a skeptical attitude, you’re only setting yourself up for failure. If you go to school without expectations and you’re open to the experiences ahead of you (and you actually take advantage of them), chances are you’ll enjoy your stay a lot more than if you're in your room every night.
Why this is important: Nobody likes a pessimist and you can't be fabulous if you're always pouting. Plus, it’s better to regret an action than the lack of action. Join some organizations, try yoga, attend a student congress meeting, go out every once in a while, drink responsibly, and dance your ass off!

5. Avoid controlling relationships. You can’t let your parents pick your major, and if you do, I feel sorry for you. What is the point of going to school if you hate what you’re studying? Also, if you’re constantly having to come home to comfort a lonely boy/girlfriend, it’s time you stuck up for yourself. Only a select few people can make long distance relationships work, and these people are either saints or unconcerned about what they’re missing out on.
Why this is important: College is a good place to begin your journey to self-reliance. These years more often than not define who you become later in life, so do what feels right. Of course the opinions of your loved ones still matter, and giving them acknowledgment helps to keep them at bay. Just don’t do something you’ll regret later because you’re a people pleaser.

So, lovelies. There’s my little list of advice especially helpful going into your first year of college, or any year, really. I hope you’re able to appreciate and follow it, and of course, if you need any help, feel free to e-mail me :-)

Sincerely yours,
The Queer Collegiate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for choosing to comment, reader! Before you hit the submit button below, please take two minutes to read what is and what is not an acceptable comment on this blog so that you can help me make this blog a safe and friendly environment for everyone and their ideas.

First of all, I will always welcome criticism and opposing views. However, if I believe your comment is any combination of: hurtful, vulgar, or completely unrelated, it will be deleted. Obviously.

Next, any and all comments that are posted in all-caps, alternating caps, or any other kind of ridiculous cryptic crap will be deleted immediately. If you plan to post a comment like this, you have perfected the art of pissing off everyone on the internet.

Finally, please don’t pull the “but, I didn’t know!” excuse if I delete your comment. I know it’s hard to believe, but I can actually identify the difference between sincerity and dishonesty. If you’re telling me that you were too naive to create a comment that doesn’t offend or annoy me, you’re basically telling me that you either...

Don’t know how to read (sad), or you...
Never learned how to conduct yourself properly on the internet (pathetic)

So, now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, go ahead and post your comment :-)