31 December 2009

The Top 10 Albums in 2009

First, it’s not even 2009 in my timezone anymore, so... whoops! Sorry about that!

Second, I apologize again for taking so long to write you all a second post. Procrastination is a bitch, but I'm working on it. Promise.

Third, do not be fooled by the order in which I have placed the following albums. Each of these artists is extraordinarily talented and deserves your respect and admiration. It should go without saying that I expect you to buy these albums immediately :-)


Hotel Paper (Deluxe Version) – Michelle Branch
Favorite Tracks: “Find Your Way Back” and “Tuesday Morning"
I realize that Michelle released this CD in 2003, but I’m happy to report that the deluxe version of it did in fact come out in 2009–qualifying it for the praise it deserves here. This re-released version of Hotel Paper includes only three new tracks–and here’s why, with only three new tracks, this album makes my top ten list. I’ve been a huge fan of Michelle since she hit the scene in 2000. Since her debut, she’s made a name for herself in the alternative, pop, and country music scenes. Her lyrics are complex, yet satisfying–allowing her songs to reach a wide range of listeners; and on this album she achieves what many try to, but ultimately fall short of: honesty. I usually don’t look into the future unless I have my Miss Cleo weave in, but I’m seeing Michelle Branch making a huge impact on the music industry by the time she’s forty.


Glee - The Music, Volume 1 – Glee Cast
Favorite Tracks: “Don’t Stop Believing” and “Taking Chances”
I’m just going to say it: Idina Menzel and the Billboard 200 had a love child and gave it to FOX to adopt and raise as its own... except there was all this baby drama and–in a nutshell–the entire series is completely autobiographical. Again, if I’m just being honest, Glee is the television version of High School Musical (with much, much, much better casting, song selection, and vocal talent). Although Lea Michele is clearly the preferred vocalist by Glee’s producers, it is clear that every voice is on board because it has proven itself worthy of stardom.


The Fray – The Fray
Favorite Tracks: “Say When” and “Enough For Now”
It’s taking a lot out of me right now to admit that I actually like The Fray because they are so widely revered by annoying people. However, in this case I will make an exception and admit I’m being stubborn... because this album is brilliant. I’m sure that, like me, most naturally gravitated toward the singles on the album (“Never Say Never,” “You Found Me”). And although the rest of the album fails to hook in listeners as these signature pieces, each track offers a unique and altogether wonderful storyline that simply reinforces The Fray’s reputation as awesome.


It’s Not Me, It’s You – Lily Allen
Favorite Tracks: “Who’d Have Known,” “Him,” and “Chinese”
It’s a rare musical experience that comes along and allows me both room to laugh and think critically about society. Thankfully, Lily Allen has mastered the art of lyricism to perfection in this album. Whether she’s singing about anti-depressants, God, or chinese food, I get it. Why is it people enjoy a songwriter who leaves a wall up between themselves and their audience? I enjoy much more a musician who brings us into her world and helps us see rainbows in the coffee stains.


Brand New Eyes – Paramore
Favorite Tracks: “Careful” and “Brick By Boring Brick,”
Mohandas Gandhi said, “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” There’s no question here that I love, love, love Paramore and this album. What I don’t love are Paramore’s fans who are all huge posers. Truth be told, this discussion topic doesn’t even belong in here, but it had to be said. At least I can be grateful that this sad fact doesn’t affect the quality of their performance or songwriting abilities. Congratulations, team! Another job well-done!


All I Ever Wanted – Kelly Clarkson
Favorite Tracks: “Don’t Let Me Stop You,” “Already Gone,” and “Long Shot”
I don’t care where you stand on Idol–you have to give it up for Kelly Clarkson. She has matured beautifully while keeping her firecracker attitude and killer style. Individually, these songs remind me a lot of her second album, Breakaway, but as a whole, they tell a much more interesting story that goes beyond abandonment and destruction. This is what I admire about Kelly. I know her songs will be different, but I can always look forward to the same passion and vocal integrity in every performance.


The Script – The Script
Favorite Tracks: “The Man Who Can’t Be Moved,” “Breakeven,” and “If You See Kay”
I came across this album while browsing the most popular albums on iTunes in March. While I don’t recommend looking for an excuse to buy something, I do recommend buying this treasure from Dublin. Tracks from this album are on my exercise, errands, and homework playlists; any old-fashioned fan of pop and rock will find The Script irresistible, so go ahead and take a chance on something different.


The Fame Monster – Lady Gaga
Favorite Tracks: “Alejandro,” “Telephone (feat. Beyoncé),” and “Speechless”
I don’t know one gay man... or any gay person, actually... who doesn’t love Lady Gaga. She’s certainly formulated to appeal to gay audiences. She has a powerful voice, a hot bod, dance moves that would–and have–put Madonna to shame, and she’s even dedicated an award to us! Gaga-gadget grammy! (I hope you all get that allusion.) To anyone who doesn’t see promise in this woman, I dare you to find another female vocal prodigy to match her success. What’s different between the two? Most of the time it will be Gaga’s incredible songwriting and her shameless wardrobe–signifying she really couldn’t give a fuck... another reason why gays love her.


Belle Isle – MoZella
Favorite Tracks: “Manhattan,” “Four Leaf Clover,” “Let’s Stop Calling It Love,” and “Twilight Girls”
If you don’t know who MoZella is, google her right now. I’ll be here when you get back. It truly has been a fantastic year for MoZella. Her music has been spotted in commercials, in popular TV shows, and she’s shared the stage with acts like Colbie Caillat and Michelle Branch! It’s going to be hard to tell you why I love this artist and her album because there are so many reasons that just feed off each other. The first reason is because I simply love MoZella’s voice–it’s unique to say the least. The second reason is because her songwriting is amazing–music, lyrics, everything. The third: she’s gorgeous! The fourth: she’s humble. There is nothing stopping you and I from having a conversation with her right now. Always willing to go into depth about her music, life, and more, MoZella is an artist who deserves all the attention she’s received this year and more. Here’s hoping 2010 is as great a year for her as 2009 was!


Ellipse – Imogen Heap
Favorite Tracks: “First Train Home,” “Bad Body Double,” and “Tidal (Instrumental)”
I discovered Imogen Heap after a few of my friends at school told me about The O.C.’s season 2 finale. I still haven’t watched it, but “Hide and Seek” off Heap’s Speak for Yourself has since become one of my favorite tracks. Another very unique voice, Imogen Heap made a name for herself as one half of the UK-based Frou Frou. She split from her partner, and started her own musical career. Ellipse is a culmination of artistic freedom, raw talent, and full-throttled passion. The deluxe version of the CD includes all 13 tracks and their instrumentals (for just 3 dollars more), so you can hear all of the amazing producing and mastering Heap has done herself in her home studio in England.

Sincerely yours,
The Queer Collegiate


----------------
Now playing: DJ Earworm - United State of Pop 2009 (Blame It on the Pop)
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

  1. I love the top ten. Mozella and The Script are definitely in my top ten as well! And KC tops my list everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the variety of your top 10! I hope to read more blog posts on music! - Jay

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for choosing to comment, reader! Before you hit the submit button below, please take two minutes to read what is and what is not an acceptable comment on this blog so that you can help me make this blog a safe and friendly environment for everyone and their ideas.

First of all, I will always welcome criticism and opposing views. However, if I believe your comment is any combination of: hurtful, vulgar, or completely unrelated, it will be deleted. Obviously.

Next, any and all comments that are posted in all-caps, alternating caps, or any other kind of ridiculous cryptic crap will be deleted immediately. If you plan to post a comment like this, you have perfected the art of pissing off everyone on the internet.

Finally, please don’t pull the “but, I didn’t know!” excuse if I delete your comment. I know it’s hard to believe, but I can actually identify the difference between sincerity and dishonesty. If you’re telling me that you were too naive to create a comment that doesn’t offend or annoy me, you’re basically telling me that you either...

Don’t know how to read (sad), or you...
Never learned how to conduct yourself properly on the internet (pathetic)

So, now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, go ahead and post your comment :-)